Announcements:
        काल करें–पुलिस सहायता–100, फायर ब्रिगेड–101 एम्बुलेन्स–108,महिला हेल्पलाईन–1090,राष्ट्रीय स्वास्थ बीमा योजना हेतु टोल फ्री नम्बर– 1800–1800–4444,मनरेगा रोजगार मांग, शिकायत व जानकारी हेतु टोल फ्री नम्बर 1800–180–5999
 

DISTRICT MUZAFFARNAGAR GAZEETEER CHAPTER IV REVENUE & ADMINISTRATION

 Back                                                                    Next

 

CHAPTER IV

REVENUE & ADMINISTRATION

 

ADMINISTRATIVE DIVISIONS

DISTRICT STAFF   

CHANGES IN THE SUBDIVISION

FORMATION OF THE DISTRICT

FURTHER CHANGES

SETTLEMENT 1803

EARLY MUQARARIDARS

SETTLEMENT OF 1805

TRANSFERS OF THE DELHI PARGANAS

SETTLEMENT OF 1808

SETTLEMENT OF 1825

SETTELMENT OF 1820

SETTELMENT OF 1825

SETTELMENT OF 1830

SETTELMENT 1840

Mr. THORNTON SYSTEM

DEFECTS OF THIS ASSESMENT

SETTELMENT OF 1860

THE PROGRESS OF THE PERMAMNENT SETTELMENT

Mr. KEENE’S SYSTEM

MR. COLVIN'S SYSTEM          

Mr. CADELLS revision.

WORKING 1860 SETTELMENT

MR. MILLERS SETTLEMNET

MR. MILLER'S SYSTEM

RATES

THE KHADIR PARGANA

ALLUVIAL VILLAGES

POLICE ARRANGEMENTS

POLICE FORCE

MUNICIPAL & VILLAGE POLICE

POLICE WORK

CRIME

INFANTICIDE

JAIL

POST OFFICE

REGISTERATION

STAMPS

EXCISE

MUNICIPALITIES & Act XX Towns

DISTRICT BOARD

SCHOOLS

EDUCATION

DISPENSERIES

ADMINISTRATIVE DIVISIONS

for administrative purposes the district is divided into four tahsfls, each of which comprises several parganas. The Muzaffarnagar tahsil which occupies the north central portion of the district, is made up of the five parganas of Muzaffarnagar, Charthawal, Baghra, Pur Chhapar, and Gordhanpur. The Jansath tahsil in the south-east contains the parganas of Jali-Jansath, Khatauli, Bhuma Sambalhera and Bhukarheri. Tne south­ western tahsil is known as Budhdua, and contains the three parganas of Budhana, Shikarpur and Kandhla. Lastly comes the north-western tahsil known as Kairana, which is divided into the five parganas of Kairana, Shamli Thana Bhawan, Jhinjhana and Bidauli. The whole is in the charge of the Collector of Muzaffarnagar under the supervision of the Com­missioner of Meerut.

Go top

DISTRICT STAFF

The sanctioned executive staff of the district consists of a District Collector, four full-powered Magistrates, of whom one is usually a Covenanted Civilian, four Tahsilddars with magisterial powers, a District Superintendent of Police, a Civil Surgeon, who is generally an Assistant Surgeon in charge, and a Deputy Inspector of Schools. Besides these, there are three benches of Honorary Magistrates in the municipal towns of Muzaffarnagar, Kairana, and Kandhla, respectively, the members of which, are invested with 3rd class magisterial powers, and dispose of petty criminal cases occurring within municipal limils. There ace also two Honorary Magistrates sitting singly, one Saiyid Mahdi Aii Khan, at Jansath, with jurisdiction within the Jansath and Miranpur police-circles, and the other, Saiyid Murtaza Husain. who resides at Jauli and exercises jurisdiction within the circles of Bhopa, and Gordhanpur. For the purposes of civil jurisdiction whole district lies within    the  Saharanpur judgeship.    There two civil courts in   the district,  that of the Munsif of Muzaffarnagar and that of the Munsif  of Kairana.    Appeals from both these lie to the Civil Judge of Saharanpur.

Go top

CHANGES IN THE SUBDIVISION

The  administrative   changes within   the   district    have   been great since the Biitish conquest, and the existing parganas, owing to the numerous alterations which have taken place in the boundaries, represent the Akbari mahals only in name. In the days of Akbar tho whole of the district belonged to Sarkar Saharanpur with the exception of pargana Kandhla, which lay in the boundaries of Sarkar Dehli. At that time the pargana Muzaffarnagar was known as Sarwat, the name being changed Muzaffarnigar in the reign of Shahjahan, when Sarwat and Khatauli were bestowed upon Saiyid Muzaffar Khan Khanjahan, in whose honour the town of Muzafarnagar was founded by his son. The present pargana of Gordhanpur was then known as Tughlaqpur from the village of that name on the left bank of the Ganges Canal in Pur Chhapar. The name was changeed to Nurnagar in 1842, but from 1855 the tract has borne the name of Gordhanpur. The present pargana of Shamli is made a portion of what was formerly Kairana with the addition old pargana of Banat. The subdivision was known as Shamli-Banat up to the settlement of 1860. A village of Kairana named Muhammadpur Zanardar formed a portion of jagir of Nawab Hakim Muqarrab Khan in the reign of Jahangir and  was bestowed by him on a follower, who founded a bazar m Muhammadpur and called it Shamli after his own name, the jagir remained in the family of Muqarrab Khan until the reign of Bahadur Shah, who resumed it and formed it with a few other villages into a tappa, which in course of time acquired the name of a pargana.

 The names Jauli-Jansath and Bhuma-Sambalhera explain origin. In the former case, there was a single pargana of Jauli from which Jansath was formed through the influence of Saiyids in the reign of Farrukh Siyar. It was incorporated with what remained of Jauli in 1842 under its present name and the tahsil is now usually called Jansath. Bhuma was a

a seprate pargana untill Mr. Trompton Settlement, when it was broken up and the greater portion was included in Bahsuma. The latter pargana was again dismembered, and the northern portions went to swell the area of the reconstituted pargana of Bhuma and part to Bhukarheri. Bhuma is now included with Sambalhera as one pargana, known as Bhuma-Sambalhera or simply Bhuma. The present pargana of Shikarpur is made up of portions of the two old Akbari parganas of Shoron-Palri and Khudi : the latter is the old name of the town of Shikar-pur. The pargana of Thana Bhawan was known in the days of Akbar as Thana Bhim, a name derived from the founder of the principal town; but since the conquest the town has been called Thana Bhawan from the celebrated Hindu temple of Bhawani.

Go top

FORMATION OF THE DISTRICT

After the conquest  in   1803    the   district  was     attached   to Moradabad.    In August   1804    the area   comprising the present district  of Muzaffarnagar was assigned   to  Saharanpur,    which then extended  from   the Siwalik hills

Copyright © 2014, Muzaffarnagar NIC. 
All Rights Reserved. Contents on this Website (except URL Links) are provided by the District Administration and concerned departments.
Disclaimer: NIC-Muzaffarnagar does not take any responsibility legal or otherwise regarding the contents of this website or the contents of the websites linked to it.
This web site is optimized for java enabled Netscape4.0 above, IE4.0 above and 1024x768 monitor resolution